A look at Syracuse men’s basketball’s current scholarship situation

Jim Boeheim has until the beginning of the school year (Aug. 29) to finalize its scholarship situation for the upcoming year. SU currently has two available scholarships.

Syracuse was strangled by the NCAA’s scholarship reductions when sanctions were first handed down and in the aftermath of the ruling. But now the Orange has some freedom as the 2016-17 school year approaches.

SU has nine scholarship players on its current roster. They are Dajuan Coleman, John Gillon, Tyler Roberson, Paschal Chukwu, Tyler Lydon, Frank Howard, Tyus Battle, Taurean Thompson and Matthew Moyer. That’s two below its allotted maximum of 11 for this cycle, which was raised from 10 when the NCAA gave back one scholarship to Syracuse for each of the four years it had taken three scholarships away.

It appears SU has only one target remaining that would play in 2016-17, Nebraska grad transfer Andrew White III. Even if White chooses Syracuse, the Orange would still have one scholarship remaining. The likely move would be to place a current walk-on on scholarship, since an unused scholarship wouldn’t carry over to give Syracuse an extra one in 2017-18. If White opts for Michigan State or another school, the Orange would have two open scholarships, since the three players that had remaining eligibility with the team — Malachi Richardson, Kaleb Joseph and Chinonso Obokoh — will not be with SU this season.

Richardson is now a member of the Sacramento Kings, Joseph transferred to Creighton and Obokoh transferred to St. Bonaventure.

According to SU’s director of athletic communications Pete Moore, Jim Boeheim has until the beginning of the school year (Aug. 29) to award a scholarship to a walk-on. Maybe it goes to Doyin Akintobi-Adeyeye, a senior and valuable practice big man, or one of the many sophomore walk-ons who joined the team last year.

That group includes Adrian Autry Jr., Evan Dourdas, Jonathan Radner, Ky Feldman and Shaun Belbey.

Whatever the move is or how many have to be made based on White’s decision, freedom on the scholarship front is a pleasant treat for a team that seemed like it would be severely handcuffed on that front for years to come.

For a graphical breakdown of Syracuse’s scholarship situation, click here.