UNIVERSITY POLITICS

Chancellor Kent Syverud expresses sorrow, urges tolerance after Charlottesville attack

Chancellor Kent Syverud said Syracuse University rejects white supremacy, respects the diversity of the university community and believes in free speech and nonviolent discourse.

In a campus-wide email sent Friday, Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud addressed last week’s violent protests in Charlottesvile, Virginia and condemned white supremacy.

“During this difficult and painful time, Syracuse University extends its thoughts, prayers and sympathy to all in Charlottesville in the face of their loss and pain and exposure to hate and violence,” Syverud said in the email.

Syverud also said the university is preparing to welcome students from all 50 states, Puerto Rico, Washington, D.C. and more than 70 different countries. He said people should tell new SU community members that the university:

• Rejects white supremacist groups and their hateful ideologies
  • Respects the diversity, values and ideals of all people who belong to the SU community
  • Believes in free speech and nonviolent discourse, accompanied by the responsibility of speaking up when the values or safety of individuals is threatened

“Now more than ever, we must continue to voice these values of inclusion on behalf of all our new members of our community,” Syverud said.