Training Camp 2017

Syracuse football training camp blog: Freshman QB Tommy DeVito still out with sickness

Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

Dino Babers held out from practice on Sunday Adly Enoicy, Cordell Hudson and Jake Pickard.

Syracuse football training camp opened Sunday, July 30. The Daily Orange beat writers, Joe Bloss, Sam Fortier, Matthew Gutierrez and Tomer Langer, will keep a running tab of updates from each SU practice this summer before its first home game on Sept. 1 at 7 p.m. Follow along here and @DOsports.

Thursday, Aug. 24

Who’s out: Adly Enoicy, Cordell Hudson and Jake Pickard were again all in street clothes. In addition, freshman quarterback Tommy DeVito, who was out yesterday because he was sick, was again not at practice Thursday. 

Thursday was the last day of training camp open to the media. Head coach Dino Babers will hold a press conference Monday.

Wednesday, Aug. 23

Who’s out: Adly Enoicy, Cordell Hudson and Jake Pickard were all out again. In addition, redshirt-freshman wide receiver K.K Hahn did practice, but he was limited due to an undisclosed injury, per SU Athletics.

Servais: Redshirt freshman Airon Servais was once again practicing with the first team but still wearing shorts. Servais projects to be the starting center if fully healthy by next week.

Sunday, Aug. 20

Who’s out: Adly Enoicy, Cordell Hudson and Jake Pickard were all held out of practice again today.

Defensive players return: Defensive end Josh Black and cornerback Scoop Bradshaw, who had been limited or out at various points last week, both returned to practice today and were full participants.

082017_footballpractice_schlesinger_ape_01

Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

Servais: Offensive lineman Airon Servais had to leave the open portion of practice last Tuesday to receive treatment on his ankle and then practiced by himself on Thursday. Sunday, while he was still in shorts, he was back working in pairs and was seemingly a full participant in the unit’s drills.

Thursday, Aug. 17

Who’s out: Jake Pickard was out of practice again today. Cordell Hudson was out, as was defensive linemen Tim Walton. Cornerback Scoop Bradshaw and wide receiver Adly Enoicy were also out with undisclosed injuries, per SU athletics.

Josh Black dresses

While he didn’t go out to the field, Josh Black did dress for the first time since last week.

Airon Servais practices without pads

Servais left Tuesday’s practice early to get treatment on his ankle. Today he was in shorts and was without pads, his right ankle was heavily taped and he was running drills on the side by himself.

Team scrimmages

In the last five minutes of the open portion of practice, SU lined up for 11-on-11 drills. The first-team offense had a three-and-out against the second-team defense. Then an offense comprised of second- and third-string players took the field, led by Tommy DeVito at quarterback. It was matched up, and went three-and-out, against the first-team defense.

The first-team offense came back on the field and started driving down the field. Dontae Strickland was the running back with the first-team offense on the first drive, while Moe Neal came on for the second drive.

Tuesday, Aug. 15

Who’s out: Defensive ends Josh Black and Jake Pickard were both held out of practice again today. Black has a brace that covers mostly his kneecap. Pickard is wearing a hinged brace going above the knee cap and down to around the shin.

Airon Servais practices

Redshirt freshman Airon Servais practiced with heavily taped ankles. In the 10 minutes of practice open to reporters, he stepped away from the offensive line drills to see the trainer.

Servais, who will be the team’s center if healthy, wore a boot to FanFest Saturday. Head coach Dino Babers said it was not injury, just a precautionary measure for a swollen ankle.