Carrier Dome preparations underway for Paul McCartney’s Saturday concert

Courtesy of Courtesy © 2015 MPL Communications Ltd/Photographer: MJ Kim

Pete Sala, vice president and chief facilities officer, advised concertgoers get off Interstate 81 at the Brighton Avenue or Rock Cut Road exits, and come into Syracuse through Ainsley Drive.

UPDATED: Sept. 21, 2017 at 1:11 p.m.

Paul McCartney will be playing a sold-out concert at the Carrier Dome this Saturday, and preparation for one of the biggest headliners in the venue’s history is underway.

“This is the show,” said Pete Sala, vice president and chief facilities officer at Syracuse University. He said the Dome has tried multiple times to book McCartney in the past.

“I want to be over prepared,” Sala said. “We want to make sure that we have looked at every detail.”

Ride-hailing, heat and parking were some potential issues he addressed Wednesday in advance of the show. Sala is responsible for day-to-day activities at the Dome.

“I’m a little worried about the heat, so we’re prepping for that,” Sala said. “We’re going to do everything we can to have water stations all over the building for people to access water.”

Bottled water and stations to fill water bottles will be available during the concert, he said. Attendees will be allowed to bring one water bottle into the Dome.

There will also be three ambulances on site, rather than the typical two ambulances at Dome events.

All bathrooms in the building will be open for the concert, and the Dome will be providing its standard mobility assistance for attendees with disabilities, Sala said.

“We’ve been ordering water nonstop,” he said, adding that air conditioned areas will be available for those under health distress caused by the heat.

A crowd unfamiliar with event procedure, like parking, was another possible issue Sala discussed.

“You get complacent with football and basketball because the people know the venue. They know when they can leave. They know their parking lot,” Sala said. “That’s not the case with these one-offs.”

He said since parking lots and venue doors open at 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. respectively, with the show starting promptly at 8 p.m., attendees should be able to arrive and get to the Dome on time.

092017_paulprep_mary_ane

Mary Catalfamo | Asst. Copy Editor

Parking passes for Manley and West Campus have sold out, so attendees without passes will park at Skytop.

Sala advised concertgoers get off Interstate 81 at the Brighton Avenue or Rock Cut Road exits, and come into Syracuse through Ainsley Drive. Those attending the concert can also take the Jamesville Road exit and drive down Nottingham Road to get to the event.

He also said questions about ride-hailing services came up frequently during coordination. SU decided that the dropoff point for Uber and Lyft will be on the corner of Waverly and South Crouse avenues.

“Lyft is a sponsor of ours, so we’re excited that they’re a part of it,” Sala said. “But again, whether you’re coming in a taxi, whether you’re coming in an Uber or Lyft, Waverly is the spot.”

Of the concert’s other hazards, Sala said there is one that provides a constant challenge:

“Fireworks is (sic) a big part of the show,” he said. “It’s always one of those things I constantly worry about. That’s just how it is.”

This post has been updated with an additional photo.