3 takeaways from Syracuse’s commanding win over Miami

Courtesy of Rich Barnes, USA TODAY Sports

Tiana Mangakahia drives to the net against Miami in Syracuse's 99-64 win over the Hurricanes.

Syracuse women’s basketball returned to action Sunday for the first time in 28 days, the program’s longest midseason pause. During that time span, two Atlantic Coast Conference programs — Duke and Virginia — ended their women’s basketball seasons due to COVID-19 concerns. 

But head coach Quentin Hillsman reiterated Friday via Zoom that his team not only hadn’t discussed following suit but was also healthy and ready to return to its pre-shutdown form. The No. 24 Orange (6-1, 3-1 Atlantic Coast) did that and then some in their 99-64 win over Miami (6-5, 3-5) on Sunday. 

Here are three takeaways from SU’s resounding win in the Carrier Dome: 

No rust

The Orange got off to a terrific start one game ago, a 83-70 win over Boston College, scoring 31 points in the opening quarter. That was nearly a month ago.

Syracuse jumped on the Hurricanes from the opening tip. The Orange prompted Miami head coach Katie Meier to burn two of her four first-half timeouts within the first eight minutes of the game, succeeding 18-8 and 29-14 starts to the contest. SU’s 32 points in the opening 10 minutes were the most in a quarter since mustering the same output against UNC in 2019. 

While SU’s talent has been constant, the ability to push the floor and pressure Miami on all 92 feet of the floor after so much time off was astounding. It allowed Priscilla Williams to pick off a Miami pass in the Orange frontcourt and score immediately after an Emily Engstler layup, provoking Meier’s second timeout. It enabled Engstler to also record a steal and disrupt passing lanes on the back end of SU’s full-court pressure in the first half while maintaining the stamina to chase down a game-high nine rebounds.

The Orange finished shooting 63% from the field, their most efficient output of the season. Five players finished in double figures, led by Williams with 26 points on a perfect nine of nine from the field.

Embarrassment of riches

After Syracuse’s win over the Hurricanes on Dec 12, Meier stressed how difficult it was to create multiple gameplans against the Orange — combatting Kamilla Cardoso’s size, Tiana Mangakahia’s playmaking and SU’s shooting from deep. 

All three were on display on Sunday. When Miami started the game in a packed zone to defend against the drive and interior prowess of Cardoso, SU took advantage of space around the arc and started 4-for-5 from 3-point range, helping the Orange out to its 18-8 start. 

The initial run prompted Miami to concede more effort to defend the perimeter, which allowed Cardoso more freedom to roam under the boards. She finished with eight rebounds and 15 points, and the two stats would often come hand-in-hand as the 6-foot-7 Cardoso plucked hers and her teammates’ misses from the reach of shorter defenders for a putback.

Subscribe to the D.O. Sports Newsletter

Want the latest in Syracuse sports delivered to your inbox? Subscribe to the D.O. Sports newsletter to read our best sports articles, sent to you every Friday morning.

* indicates required

Cardoso’s fellow McDonald’s All-American, Williams registered her career-best 26 points without a single miss, including going 6-for-6 from 3-point range. 

Syracuse’s veteran guards also ensured the Orange kept their foot on the gas from start to finish. Mangakahia recorded her first double-double in 1,030 days, with 10 points and 10 assists. Kiara Lewis pitched in nine points and five helpers.

Bombs away

The Orange entered shooting just 25.4% from 3-point range, good for 14th out of 15 teams in the conference. Syracuse quickly established Sunday would be different. 

Mangakahia was left alone at the top of the key SU’s first possession, and she drilled the open look. On the ensuing possession she drew more attention, so she deferred to Williams for another triple. Next time down the floor the Canes readjusted, and Mangakahia sunk another from straightaway. 

After its 80% start from downtown induced Meier’s first timeout, Syracuse continued to generate open looks from 3-point range with inside-out ball movement and savvy drive-and-kicks from its veteran guards. Seven Syracuse players connected from long range in the first half, capped by 6-foot-2 forward Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi’s third 3-pointer of the season with seconds remaining. 

The Orange finished with 17 3-pointers, matching a Carrier Dome record set against Rhode Island in 2016. Williams led the way with her eight trifectas, and six SU players finished shooting 40% or better from downtown.